BASILICA OF THE HOLY ROSARY, Bandel
Bandel Church, Hoogly, W.B.- 712103
2631-6057/2206; Fax : 2631-0157
The Church was founded by the Portuguese Augustinian Monks in 1599, and it is dedicated to the Holy Rosary. In 1640 it was rebuilt in its present proportions. A Bengali Medium High School attached to the church was established in 1870 for the local people. The Salesians took it over from the Padroado Bishop of Mylapore in 1928. An ancient statue of Our Lady of Happy Voyage, said to be miraculous, is venerated in this Church.
Thousands of pilgrims visit the shrine each year. Being the oldest Church in North – East India, and the only remnant of the Portuguese establishment in Hoogly, it attracts tourists throughout the year. The Salesian community of Bandel was canonically erected in 1933. In 1951 an aspirantate was opened; and in 1986 a Retreat House was established which is available for retreats, seminars, etc., especially for youth groups. Bandel Church was declared a minor Basilica on 25th November, 1988. The Church has been totally renovated the balcony at the shrine extended and the access to the shrine expanded and 3 beautiful bells installed in the belfry by Fr. L. Gobetti. The work was completed in 1994. The fourth Centenary of the church was solemnly celebrated in the year 1999.
Salesian Aspirantate (Seminary),
Bandel, Hooghly - 712 103
Bandel, Hooghly- 721 103
22 Kirki Lane, Chinsura, Hooghly- 712 101
Belagarh Rd. Bandel, Hooghly- 712103
Missionary Sisters of Mary Help of Christians
Missionaries Sisters of Mary Immaculate ( MSMI)
Bandel St. John’s H. School,
Hooghly- 712 103
Don Bosco School
Bandel, Hooghly-712 103
Auxilium Convent School
Bandel, Hooghly- 712 103
Maria Sadan Boarding Balagarh Rd
Bandel, Hooghly- 712 103
Confraternity of Mary Help of Christians, St. Joseph’s Society, Children of Mary, Don Bosco Sodality, Salesian Cooperators, Parish Choir, ICYM, AICUF, Altar Boys, SVP
Annual Features: Feast of the Holy Rosary held usually on 2nd Sunday of November, Feast of Our Lady of Happy voyage held usually on 1st Sunday of May. Penitential Procession on 1st Sunday of Lent; The Santal Pilgrimage, Chinese 3 Pilgrimage, Chinese Pilgrimage and the Annual Walking Pilgrimage in January and Fatima Pilgrimage on 2nd Sunday in February.
CHURCH OF ST. JOHN BOSCO, Liluah
P.O; Liluah ,Dist. Howrah – 711 204
E_Mail : firstname.lastname@example.org
St. John Bosco Church was blessed on 8th December 1937 by Archbishop F. Perier to serve the European and Anglo-Indian Catholics of Liluah Railway Colony. Now the Adivasis from Chotanagpur form the majority. In 1950 the village of Joypur was given over to Liluah. A new church was bult and blessed on December 8, 1985, to replace the old. In 1986 Hind Motors. Uttarpara and Konnagar were added to the Parish. On August 1994 a new Mass center at Bhattanagar was inaugurated and a new chapel was blessed by Archbishop Henry D’Souza to serve the Christian community of that area. On August 15, 2001, Holy Family Sisters joined the Parish at Bhattanagar in order to further the family apostolate through family visits and education. Chandmari close to Belur station is gradually evolving into a Mass Centre. On 8th December 2003 the foundation stone which was blessed by His Holiness Pope John Paul II was laid for the divine Mary Church and the Church was blessed on 6th February 2005. Don Bosco High and Technical School, Liluah, had ICSE and ISE and Technical sections. The school offers possibilities for Boarding for Catholic Students, National Open School, Evening School and Adult Education Programme. Don Bosco Mirpara offers job oriented non-formal education especially for the school drop outs, and has an aspirantate. At Bhattanagar, Don Bosco Ashalayam has 3 homes for the orphaned hoys and the Sisters Adorers have a home for the homeless girls.
Salesians of Don Bosco Congregation of the Holy Family
Don Bosco High & Tech School
Liluah, Howrah- 711204
EMail : dbllh @vsnl. Com, Fax : 2655-5989
Don Bosco Self – Employment Research Institute
Mirpara, Bhattanagar – 711 203
2645-6223/8708, Fax: 2645-8710
Email : dbseri@cal2, vsnl, net in
Don Bosco Aspirants, Mirpara,
Bhattnagar – 711 203
Don Bosco Ashalayam (3 units) Asha Maria, Asha Nivas, Asha Neer
Congregation of the Holy Family ( CHF)
Rabindra Sarani, Liluah, Howrah- 711 203,
Sisters Adorers, Navajyot Bhavan
Bhattanagar- 711 203, Howrah
Youth Centres, Sponsorship of Children, CRS, MCH programmed, Nursery Coaching Centre
Catholic Association of Bengal, S.C.C.s, Salesian Cooperators, Catholi Sabha, Association of Mary Help of Christians ( ADMA) Mahila Sangh, I.C.Y.M, S.V.P.D.B.Y.C.,YCS Altar Boys Asso, Holy Childhood.
CHURCH OF OUR LADY OF HAPPY VOYAGE, Howrah
2, Mukhram Kanoria Road, Howrah- 711 101
The Church was built by an Italian Missionary Father Paul da Gradoli. It was started on 10th September. 1831 and was inaugurated on 20th April, 1834. At the request of Msgr, Carew, the church was handed over to the Vicariate in 1847. In 1894, the Irish Christian Brothers opened St. Aloysius School. At first it functioned in the church, later on in 1911, on the roof of the Church. The new built by Fr. Peter Gomes; the foundation stone was blessed on 15th August 1949 . A new extension was made n 1987.
Daughters of the Cross
1, Kings Rd, Howrah- 711 101,
158, Belilious Rd, Howrah- 711 101
33, Rose Mary Lane, Howrah- 711 101
Maayer Asha, Ichapur, HIT Rd
Santragachi – 711 014
Sisters of Providence of Gap
6/1 R.P.Mazumdar Lane,Howrah- 711 101
St. Agnes’ Convent School
1, King’s Rd, Howrah-1
St. Aloysius’ Orphanage & Day Sch.
2, M.K. Rd. Howrah-1
Parish Council, Parish Club Sunday School, Hindi & English Choirs, ICYM, Altar Server, Charismatic Group C.A.B. S.V.P., Legion of Mary & Ladies Sodality, Finance Committee, Parish Liturgical Team.
CHURCH OF THE IMMACULATE CONCEPTION OF THE BLESSED VIRGIN MARY, Serampore
13, Upper Strand Rd, Serampore, Dt. Hooghly- 712 201
A small chapel was first built in 1764 for the traders and Portuguese settlers who came from Chandennagore. The present beautiful church was built in 1776 and in 1783 was dedicated to Madre de Deos . This title was changed by a decree of the congregation of Rites, about 1869 to the one of the Immaculate conception of the B.V.M. In 1843 an attempt was made to start a Novitiate for Loreto Nuns and free K. G. School. Between 1866. 1872 it was used as Jesuit Novitiate in 1957 the Presbytery became a Cheshire Home and the catholic population spread over Serampore sub-division from Bally to Baidyabati. The Sisters of the Daughters of charity of St Vincent de Paul opened a House Shanti Rani Nivas in 1991 for the welfare of Cheshire Home and the people of locality. A two storey presbytery was built and the church was given a mezzanine floor in 1994. The rededication of the Church was done on 4th December, 1994 Tarakeswar Mission was started in 1999. Kunjobon village chapel was blessed on 18th June 2000.
Shanti Rani Nivas, Daughters of Charity
13, Upper Strand Road Serampore- 712-201
St. Vincent’s Ashram, Sermapore- 712-202
Cheshire Home, Stiching classes & dispensary, literacy Centre
Altar Boys, Maria Sang, St. Vinvent de Paul
CHURCH OF THE SACRED HEART, Chandannagar.
Chandannagar, Hooghly District., W.B.- 712 136
The Church in Chandannagar was started by August Monks in 1688 and a Chapel was built in 1690 to cater for the spiritual needs of the French and Portuguese traders and soldiers and other Catholic aritisans who lived and worked in this region By the year 1753 there were over 4,000 catholic in the town of Chandannagar which prompted the French Jesuits to build the National Hospital in the same year. In 1863 Msgr. Pere Corbel of the Congregation of the Holy Spirit and Sacred Heart of Mary, Prefect Apostolic of Pondicherry, appointed Rev. P. Brother of the same Congregation as parish priest of Chandannagar. It was this same Parish Priest who laid the foundation stone of the present day Church in 1875 and guided its construction with the able assistance of Brother Joachim. The Church at Chandannagar was finally blessed and dedicated to the Sacred Heart of Jesus on 27th January 1884, by Most Rev, Dr. Paul Goethals s.j. in the presence of Rev. Pere Corbet, Prefect Apostolic of the French establishments in India. Over the years, pondicherry now and Archdiocese, found it difficult to administer this far flugh enciave and petitioned Rome to divest it this responsibility. The papal response was favourable. On 27th January 1894 a Decree of the Sacred Congregation for the propagation of the propagation of the faith was issued formally transferring the territory of Chandannagar to the jurisdiction of the Archdiocese of Kolkata. A new presbytery has been built in 1991. In 1996 St. Thomas School was extended and class one, which were held at the presbytery, were transferred to the main school. In 1997 the Sisters of St. Joseph of Cluny have taken charge of St. Thomas primary School.
Sisters of St. Joseph of Cluny
Chandannagar, Hooghly- 712136
St. Anthony’s H. School ( Madhyamik ) Chandannagar
St. Joseph’s Convent School ( I.C.S.E)
St.Mary’s ( for Destitutes) P. Schoo
St. Thomas Primary School
St. Thomas Nursery School
St. Anthony’s School Hostel and Dispensary
Legion of Mary, Christian Life Community, Youth Christian Association .
P.O – Pandua, District Hooghly
West Bengal- 712 14
Started in 1967 by Fr. F. Siluvaj s.j.as a sub station of Kalna Patrish with a Boarding for Santali speaking boys of nearby village. In May 1982 the Sisters of Holy Cross of Chavanod were invited to Pandua to take care of the boys. In October 1988 the Sisters put up their own convent and began a boarding for Santal girls. In 1989 an English Medium School was started with K.G. & primary classes. In 1983 with the coming of Fr. Stephen Raj s. j. pastoral work is done from pandua along with the running of the boarding , in the villages close to the Main Bandel- Burdwan line.
Sisters of the Cross of Chavanod
Convent & House of Candidates & pre Novitate
P. O Pandua – 712 149, Hooghly Dt.
Holy Cross School, Pandua P.O. ( Kg to Class IV. English Medium)
Jisu Ashram, Boarding for boys and Holy cross Boarding for girls.
MARIA SNEHA SADAN, Gurap
Gurap P.O. Hooghly Dt. 712303
The Parishioners of Kalna living along the Howrah Burdwan Chord line had to spend much time and money to attend services I kalna or Pandua. The Santal community becoming increasingly conscious about the need of education while the schools of the locality could absorb only a limited number of Santal boarders, a new center was opened by Fr. Eric Tigga S.J. to serve mainly Dhaniakali and Jamalpur Blocks from Gurap.
Maria Snehasadan, Gurap P.O., Hooghly Dt. – 712303
NIRMALA MATA MARIA GIRJA, Andul Road.
193/2 Andul Rd, Danesh Sk. Lane, Howrah- 711109
Sub-centre of Our Lady of Happy Voyage Church. The Church was built in 1971. A new centre has been erected in 1976 called Bhratripremnagar at Betor. In 1980 a new centre has been erected near Andul called Ekprantanagar. In 1987 a land was purchased at Buxarah where a Church for these two centres has been built up. From June 1995, the Pilar Fathers are in residence here.
Pillar Fathers ( S.F.X.)
193/1 Andul Rd. Howrah – 711109
S.V P. Mahila Sangha, Legion of Mary, Youth Association, Altar boys.
ST. JOSEPH THE WORKER CHURCH, Santragachi
Santragachi, P.O. Jagacha, Howrah- 711 311
The Church was built by Father Castelino s. j. and was blessed by Archbishop Albert D’Souza, on the feast of St. Joseph, 19th March, 1967. on 15th September 1974, the Servite Sisters opened their house in Santragachi which was blessed by Cardinal L.T. Picachy,s.j. the Parish was entrusted to SVD in June 2000.
Servites, Maria Seva Ashram,
Santragachi P.O. Jagacha, Howrah- 711311
Handmaids of Mary, Maria Bhavan,
Bankra Dakshin Pally, Howrah- 711 103
St. Mary’s Convent School, Satragachi
Stiching class, School and Dispensary run by Servite Sisters, Kolkata Mutual help Society. Non formal education (Balwari School) Free, run by the parish Lay Asso. Mahila Sangha , Legion of Mary (Premnagar unit)
CATHOLIC CHURCH, Premnagar
11/13 , Puratan Sahir Lane, P.O. Santragachi, Dist Howrah- 711 104
In the year 1974 Fr. Francis Laborde built a Housing Colony, known as Bhratri prem nagar for the migrant labourers of Bihar, M.P., U.P., who were scattered around Howrah , Bator Buxurah and Manipur area. The spiritual and Pastoral needs of the people was taken care by Fr. Laborde while residing in Nirmala Mata Maria Girja. Andul Road. Later on realizing the distinct nature of the ethnic and linguistic group. He started to celebrate the Holy Mass in Hindi at Premnagar Colony itself and thus it took the shape then it functioned as a separate entity in the matter of records (Baptism, Marriage, Bural Etc.) and other pastoral activities. But it continued to remain as the part of Nirmala Mata Maria Girja . in the year 1990, Premnagar was attached to St. Joseph the worker Church, Santragachi and was officially handed over to the Society of the Divine word. On 31st March 2003, the Catholic Church Premnagar was made a Quasi- Parish with a Priest in Charge who resides at St. Joseph the worker Church, Santragachi.
Ursuline Franciscan Sisters
Jyoti Kiran Convent
Prem Nagar, 11/13, Puratan Sahir Lane
Adivasi Samaj School
Prem Nagar, 11/13, Puratan Sahir Lane P.O. Santragachi, Dist, Howrah 711 104
Mahila Sangh, Legion of Mary, Youth Association Catholic Sabha.
1. BASILICA OF THE HOLY ROSARY
2. CHURCH OF ST. JOHN BOSCO
3. CHURCH OF OUR LADY OF HAPPY VOYAGE
4. CHURCH OF THE IMMACULATE CONCEPTION OF THE B. V. MARY
5. CHURCH OF THE SACRED HEART
6. JISU ASHRAM
7. MARIA SNEHA SADAN
8. NIRMALA MATA MARIA GIRJA
9. ST. JOSEPH THE WORKER CHURCH
10. CATHOLIC CHURCH, Premnagar